🔕 🔔

I just got a big container of cheese curds! What can I make with them?

asked by @ichibanhapa about 5 years ago
E042c11e 07be 475c a0f3 4cd5488e6cc2  mallory

My absolute favorite dish with cheese curds is poutine- a quebecois french fry dish. Certainly NOT the healthiest of snacks, but definitely one of the most comforting. Start with warm french fries (any style, I bet even sweet potato fries could be good), drizzle with scrumptious brown gravy, and sprinkle with cheese curds. YUM!

You beat me to it, totalnoms. Poutine was the first thing I thought of when I saw this question!

0dcfb05c 8a90 480f 8cf7 cbc33e9a6b5c  me

There's poutine, which are french fries topped with cheese curds and brown gravy. I am given to understand sometimes they are battered and deep-fried. But I think you miss out on the "squeak" if you do that!

You both beat me to it as I was typing LOL!

Thanks guys! I definitely love poutine (although my waistline does not agree unfortunately) so I might try this. Would love to see some non-poutine suggestions if anyone has any!

1097a5b5 1775 4eec a8ea 7421137b65dc  image 2 apples claire sullivan 2

Oh, they still squeak when battered and fried. Just ask anyone in Wisconsin, land of the fried cheese curd - late at night, with a cold beer. Hot, salty, crispy, squeaky.

8f5038ed 8aca 4d33 aef7 8a0ce63adc40  img00019 20100929 0432 1

sexyLAMBCHOPx is a trusted home cook.

Ahh, cheese curds. Brings back amazing memories of my youth wandering around Quebec with friends, while sampling various Poutines and libations.

I have yet to find anyone who makes fresh cheese curds in CT. I would definetly do the poutine route but understand how fat saturated it is. Intrigued for other uses, I did a quick search and didn't find many, um, just actually one. Here's it is from Emeril Lagasse - that is NOT fried, smothered in gravy, or contain potatoes!.

http://www.foodnetwork...

This was interesting to know as well about cheese curds:
Curds are pieces of fresh, young cheddar cheese. The shape of cheese curds is the natural random shape and form of cheese before it is processed into blocks and aged. The blocked and aged form is the form that most people are familiar with purchasing in the supermarket. Cheese curds are different from the aged kind of cheese because they must be eaten within a few days. They also lose their tastiness if refrigerated. After a few days, the cheese curds will turn dry and salty.

It may be difficult to purchase curds in a place where there is not a cheese manufacturer. After twelve hours, the curds will have lost most of their unique flavor. At this point, they are still edible, just not as good as they would be otherwise. There aren’t any shipping methods that are fast enough to deliver cheese curds in a timely enough manner.

I found a "tip" from a website:

1. Zap 'Em: Here's a trick my coworkers and I love to share- put some curds on a plate and zap them in the microwave for 5 to 10 seconds. This makes your curds soft, gooey, and extra squeaky!

Hurry & eat those suckers fast!