maple frosting recipe

I got hooked on maple cream frosted doughnuts at the maple sugar shacks this spring, and would love to recreate that thick sweet frosting. Anyone have a recipe?

asked by gina_berthold almost 7 years ago

Is it a glaze or a frosting? Normally donuts are glazed. Usually a glaze will consist of powdered sugar and a liquid and sometimes butter and a flavoring. In this case the liquid is probably the maple syrup. Have never had donuts from maple sugar shacks.

SD's advice sounds perfect. Maybe start with a couple of cups of powdered sugar, a couple of tablespoons of soft butter, and enough maple syrup to even out the consistency. Measure the sugar into the bowl of a stand mixer. Add the butter and mix on low speed until it's sort of incorporated (I use the paddle for this), then gradually increase the speed as it's clear the sugar isn't going to fly out at you, and begin drizzling in the syrup. Your idea sounds delish!

gina_berthold

I'll give it try and see how of works. It's more a frosting than a glaze - similar in consistency to the chocolate frosting they put on donuts. I think it will be perfect on cupcakes or cinnamon rolls