🔕 🔔

What to do with 5lbs heirloom tomatoes?

I bought 5lbs of heirloom tomatoes from the farmers market. Not interested in tomato soup as I've already made a few batches. Any ideas of what to do with them to best capture the flavor?

asked by CMTerp over 6 years ago

8f5038ed 8aca 4d33 aef7 8a0ce63adc40  img00019 20100929 0432 1

What a delicious dilemma! I would suggest making http://www.food52.com/recipes... and freezing it for future use.

Here's another winning recipe from food52: http://www.food52.com/recipes...

Ece90812 0903 49a8 8e35 aa86c774be22  dsc00202
francesca gilberti

Francesca is the former Assistant Editor of food52 and believes you can make anything out of farro.

plate. olive oil. salt. fork. knife. go! ok, maybe a hunk of pane pugliese as well ...

Panzanella -- Bread and tomato salad -- is so delicious when you have great heirloom tomatoes. I like to mix it up with peppery wild arugula.

Fb6f989f a6f6 4f0b 972d bc08b3701040  l1010826

Make your own tomato juice and can it. Then you can hoard it away for the best ever Bloody Marys. I've been meaning to post this recipe for a while. If you're interested, I can post it tonight.

2269774e 64e7 47ec 8fb3 d6fb03cce199  debbykalk photo

Put them up and enjoy fresh tomato flavor in January.

Lucky you! Make this delicious tomato jam. Great for fish, meats, sandwiches or omelettes. As the recipe explains, you can go the short-cut route and eat in the next few weeks or the longer route (sterilized jars) and have summer's goodness to eat in the winter.

3ebec671 6b41 4ac3 bc14 7bb079ff1d2c  ging

Gazpacho!

F7d27620 4375 4aba ba69 0324d68acb93  41638 15501015 7960 n

you can slow roast them to make your own version of sun-dried tomatoes! I've been dying to try this but it doesn't seem worth the effort unless you've got pounds of tomatoes on hand. plus they shrink down so they'll take up less storage space!
tips on how to do it here:
http://www.foodinjars.com...

I'm with sLx and Francesca: make a batch of Marcella Hazan's incredible, unbelievable, amazing, exquisite, brilliantly simple (am I making myself clear here?) sauce with some, and follow Francesca's suggestion with the rest. Oh, and pour yourself a glass of wine.

62da2e3c 5d4a 4c43 a2ed feb7f39ad363  with ab

make your own tomato sauce! do something simple like garlic, onion, 1 cinnamon stick and some coriander. It sounds a bit weird but is phenomenal and will allow your delicious tomatoes to shine!

0f493ab9 068f 4498 ba2c 95c992214d52  sit2

I wacky parsed that as "5 lb tomatoes" and for a bit I was thinking WTH? A 5 lb tomato?

648c171e 3aee 4541 966b 82267972df8f  bri

My grandmother wowed me with this crostini topping: quarter the tomatoes and place them along with peeled garlic cloves on a bed of quartered and thinly sliced sweet onions and drown it in the best olive oil you can bear to use. Bake at 275-300 until the tomatoes have completely shrunk but the onions still have a bit of crispness. Let cool. Add to crostini (which you could possibly bake at the same time, right, since it takes about an hour of low heat) and I promise you'll close your eyes. I'd recommend this dish above some of the other suggestions because what you're doing is capturing the amazing tastiness of the tomatoes in the oil, which you can re-purpose now that it's infused with the tomato, onion, and garlic. Tomato sauce would be great with heirloom tomatoes, but tomato sauce tastes really good with less special tomatoes as well, so I think this is a far better use in terms of flavor, texture, and bang for your buck. My grandma remarked that she did not season the mixture at any point, and damn if it wasn't absolutely perfect.

Wholefoods user icon

Can those babies!

5 pounds of tomatoes isn't really all that many tomatoes. Think small and soon rather than long and many.

I agree with boulangere - I recently turned 5 lbs of tomatoes into tomato sauce, which I canned. Each pound made about 1 half-pint of sauce. Delicious - but not much.

C025a004 8bf6 44df a036 1a852ee5fd5e  65427 10150138639344899 690959898 8052827 8061015 n

I agree with the slow roaster suggestions...halve and seed the tomatoes, brush them with some olive oil and sprinkle with a very scant smattering of salt and oregano. Roast at 200-250 for a LONG time (2, 3, 4 hours?) Your nose will begin to tell you when they are done. They will collapse, and become the most lovely, sweet, fragrant things you can eat. Serve them on rounds of toasted bread, either by themselves or with some salty cheese. Store the rest with the juice and some extra olive oil in a jar in the fridge. Try not to eat them all in one sitting (: