What's the name of protein from a rodent?

Ok, I know this sounds like a fake question, but it's not. I'm trying to remember a word that is used to describe protein from a rodent. It's a strange word and I'm not making this up. :-) Anyone know what I'm thinking of? It's like "lutien" or something (but that's not it...).

• Posted by: pnoeric
  • August 20, 2011

suitablegirl
suitablegirl August 21, 2011

Nutria?

aargersi August 21, 2011

Can't find it! Did come across some nutria recipes though. Rabbit is a rodent too right??

amysarah August 21, 2011

Sorry - no idea about the word for rodent meat, but to answer aargersi:

Rabbits are not classified as rodents. They're lagomorphs (sp?) - which I shockingly recall from 3rd or 4th grade, when we had a pet bunny in our classroom. (No one ate him. As far as I know ;)

susan g August 22, 2011

Found it! Leptin (from the Greek word Leptos -- meaning thin)/ Orchestrates the use of fats to help the body: Accelerate fat breakdown, Control appetite and sweet cravings, Promote fat loss, Regulate pituitary and thyroid functions, Influence fat cell size.
That's from the label of a weight loss formula.
It is a hormone, and the rodent connection was that studies done ended with "sleek rats" if memory serves me. It was popular about 10 years ago, and I don't know what the current status is, but there are lots of search results for it.

Greenstuff August 22, 2011

Leptin might be what pnoeric was thinking of, but it's not "protein from a rodent." We have leptin as well. And while some may be, not humans are rats...

susan g August 22, 2011

Pnoeric, can we hear from you? Is that it?
I figured that the rodent connection was enough to shift the memory, and hormone/protein -- a major difference, but both show up in weight loss protocols.

pnoeric
pnoeric August 22, 2011

Yeah, I think "nutria" is what I was thinking of. Not exactly a rat, but close enough :-) Thanks all for the great answers/talk.