🔕 🔔

What's the name of protein from a rodent?

Ok, I know this sounds like a fake question, but it's not. I'm trying to remember a word that is used to describe protein from a rodent. It's a strange word and I'm not making this up. :-) Anyone know what I'm thinking of? It's like "lutien" or something (but that's not it...).

asked by pnoeric about 6 years ago

618b2c00 dbc8 49e9 8fbf 6fb75ce7c74b  mm jj

Nutria?

E7b6597b db6e 4cae b9f3 699b508f4ed3  036

Can't find it! Did come across some nutria recipes though. Rabbit is a rodent too right??

1097a5b5 1775 4eec a8ea 7421137b65dc  image 2 apples claire sullivan 2

Sorry - no idea about the word for rodent meat, but to answer aargersi:

Rabbits are not classified as rodents. They're lagomorphs (sp?) - which I shockingly recall from 3rd or 4th grade, when we had a pet bunny in our classroom. (No one ate him. As far as I know ;)

C0d1f1de 4134 43ba 9510 1d7a8caa31f3  scan0004

Found it! Leptin (from the Greek word Leptos -- meaning thin)/ Orchestrates the use of fats to help the body: Accelerate fat breakdown, Control appetite and sweet cravings, Promote fat loss, Regulate pituitary and thyroid functions, Influence fat cell size.
That's from the label of a weight loss formula.
It is a hormone, and the rodent connection was that studies done ended with "sleek rats" if memory serves me. It was popular about 10 years ago, and I don't know what the current status is, but there are lots of search results for it.

84baef1b 1614 4c3d a895 e859c9d40bd1  chris in oslo

Leptin might be what pnoeric was thinking of, but it's not "protein from a rodent." We have leptin as well. And while some may be, not humans are rats...

Pnoeric, can we hear from you? Is that it?
I figured that the rodent connection was enough to shift the memory, and hormone/protein -- a major difference, but both show up in weight loss protocols.

A1ef59eb f255 4a1d ae57 e7cdf5a05674  bunny head 200x200

Yeah, I think "nutria" is what I was thinking of. Not exactly a rat, but close enough :-) Thanks all for the great answers/talk.