🔕 🔔

Lamb butterflied: question about oven roasting a butterflied lamb

i use the Julia Child recipe (marinate, 20 minutes at 375, 2 minutes under the broiler) and it's great but the top doesn't get crispy rich the way i think it should be. I generally remove virtually all the fat. Is that the problem? Should I leave some on the top?

asked by Jill Chamberlin about 6 years ago

Believe it or not fat is your friend when it comes to roasting lamb. By taking that off you are wimping out on flavor. But doneness is best measured with a meat thermometer, say 140F. After the meat rests you can take off any fat you don't like.

397bc6d3 46e8 4d02 8a39 ce4a087eb481  2015 0609 amanda portrait 135

Yes, the fat essentially bastes the meat as it cooks -- and will help with crispness. Not hugely, but some.

59c1ab96 241c 4003 969f 4c7a164d438a  fb avatar

Excellent comments. I am wondering if I should try searing the lamb on the stove pot for 4-5 minutes to brown it, and then roasting the meat at 375 for 10-15 minutes?

445e20c3 ae7c 4384 a5f7 c63a3b70db4d  img 2825

I don't sear but I cook at high temp, 425 with fat, which I remove before I slice. The best is grilling, which is the way I usually cook lamb.