Lamb butterflied: question about oven roasting a butterflied lamb

i use the Julia Child recipe (marinate, 20 minutes at 375, 2 minutes under the broiler) and it's great but the top doesn't get crispy rich the way i think it should be. I generally remove virtually all the fat. Is that the problem? Should I leave some on the top?

pierino August 24, 2011

Believe it or not fat is your friend when it comes to roasting lamb. By taking that off you are wimping out on flavor. But doneness is best measured with a meat thermometer, say 140F. After the meat rests you can take off any fat you don't like.

Amanda Hesser August 24, 2011

Yes, the fat essentially bastes the meat as it cooks -- and will help with crispness. Not hugely, but some.

Jill Chamberlin
Jill Chamberlin August 24, 2011

Excellent comments. I am wondering if I should try searing the lamb on the stove pot for 4-5 minutes to brown it, and then roasting the meat at 375 for 10-15 minutes?

phyllis
phyllis August 24, 2011

I don't sear but I cook at high temp, 425 with fat, which I remove before I slice. The best is grilling, which is the way I usually cook lamb.