🔕 🔔

I just bought ultra pasteurized heavy cream and poured it into the bowl and it has solids in it. It expires Oct 25 and smells fine, but I have never seen lumps before. Is it ok?

asked by HeviCooks about 7 years ago

95faff30 cc53 4c8e 8c8d 9b770dc26f9e  dscf2141

Chances are the cream you have is fine. Perhaps it is not homogenized, which helps prevent separation. If the cream smells okay, then the lumps are likely small bits of butter. Depending on what you are using the cream for, you can strain out the lumps and use the resulting un-separated cream. Also, you can shake the cream to try and break up some of the lumps. Just keep in mind that shaking it may ultimately encourage it to thicken.

Good luck.

2b00435b fe24 44bb afe2 ad3364f28f79  1390710 10151917400148928 1193325941 n 1

If it smells fine then it should be okay to use. Also I might taste a little of it to make sure it has not curdled. And if the lumps are undesired try straining the cream through a fine mesh sieve.

04c705eb 0d28 4901 8638 fe69c45501e5  photo 46

Thanks guys!
I just made ice cream with it and... it tastes delicious. So I guess it was fine after all.

22b9ddc9 fc61 48a3 949e dee341974288  liz and dad

Sometimes when my cream is stored in the back of the fridge, I see those lumps, too. Nothing to worry about, unless it tastes spoiled. Then throw it out!