🔕 🔔

Anyone have a recommendation for a favorite pressure canner/cooker?

asked by iuzzini almost 7 years ago

B6a74962 31fc 4e50 b866 0ea34483cfb8  fb avatar

Presto 23 Qt. Even full I can maneuver it safely. Use a three piece weight versus a dial gauge. Its just easier to monitor by sound than by having to view a gauge.

693453b7 7e84 4b19 b610 d1ec77bbc42d  halloween

Thanks Verdigris! How many jars can you do at one time in there?

95faff30 cc53 4c8e 8c8d 9b770dc26f9e  dscf2141

Talked to someone that is in the commercial artisan canning business. They recommended the following. The best prices are available through Amazon. The brand is All-American. This link is for the 15.5 quart version, but they have a range of sizes. These things have been described as built like tanks. This size can do 10 pint jars or 7 quart jars.

http://www.amazon.com/All...

http://www.foodforthought...

C7510721 e177 481e 8125 7c4d04f5c4e8  canposter

I'm going to second the All-American!

By strange coincidence, I know the family that owns the All-American company. I can assure you first hand that they are devoted to manufacturing a high-quality product. They also support the product with easy access to replacement parts.

I bought mine at an estate sale and it works great. And the folks at All-American went out of their way to get me new seals. They're also planning on increasing their web support for canners and cooks. Look for more how-tos and recipes in the new year. (I'm going to tell Ben to hop to it now that I spilled the beans on foodpickle!)

The All-American does look incredibly sturdy- in fact, I live in Indiana so it could probably double as a tornado shelter. :) I can't wait to can stock/soup!

ody

For regular pressure cooking, Europe has the best model---you can get them in stainless steel, and the sealing system is simple and efficient, with just one thing to turn. (I can't say how well they'd work for canning: they don't tend to come in the squat shape that would accommodate lots of jars at a time.) I'd recommend the SEB cocotte minute authentique inox. How I wish you could buy them in the States...