🔕 🔔

Which is better for making your own soups, a pressure cooker or a slow cooker?

asked by @murphpj over 6 years ago
79ca7fa3 11e3 4829 beae d200649eab49  walken the walk

Neither. And they are kind of contradictory. A pressure cooker speeds up cooking, and a slow cooker, well... A soup pot on a kitchen burner simmering away, uncovered is the best method.

Slow cookers work well for those who can't be home watching the simmering pot on a cooker. A pressure cooker is a great asset when in a hurry and want a decent soup in a short time. There are lots of good recipes out there for both.

Bc343245 99fb 4d2b 8579 9bf9c485181e  me

I've never used a pressure cooker for soups, but it might work. But they're designed for speed and I think what you could lose is a well-developed flavor base you get from slow sauteeing of onions, celery, carrots, etc.

Actually, they work very well for soup. One can have a very good barley, beef and mushroom in 15-20m for example. I know one does not get the depth of flavor from a looooong simmer but it's surely better than opening a can. Where cooking fuels are expensive people have been making soups and stews in pressure cookers for years. And they are invaluable for those who get home at 6 and want to have a decent supper before 10. More of us here in the US should be familiar with all they can do.