A question about a recipe: Grown-Up Birthday Cake

361a48e7 a614 4547 a065 3785413e224a  2018 0404 grownup birthday cake 3x2 bobbi lin 10257

I have a question about the recipe "Grown-Up Birthday Cake" from Midge.

I made this cake but somehow it has this unpleasant bitter taste which I suspect is the extra virgin olive oil I used. Did you use just normal olive oil?
Also just want to make sure the baking soda is the bi-carb soda ya? Or is it suppose to be baking powder?
Thank you.

asked by Saccharine about 7 years ago

Yes, baking soda. The bitterness may have come from the olive oil. We, too, used extra virgin and didn't have any issue but olive oils vary tremendously. Using regular olive oil next time would be a safer bet. Or you could use a vegetable oil if you want to eliminate any risk. Sorry you had an issue -- it really is delicious when there's no bitterness!

Saccharine

Thanks Amanda, I thought it would be the olive oil, I'll try again with the regular olive oil next, I'm sure it'll turn out well:)

Hope so -- thanks for your patience and persistence!