🔕 🔔

Constructive criticism of submitted recipe?

Would it be ok to approach a fellow food52er who tested my recipe? I suspect it might be a bit delicate & variable in its results and would like to hear whether it worked or not (I tried it twice, & second time it came out a bit differently). Did it lack flavor? Did it work? I'd like to be able to improve it and make sure it's reliable (and happen to be very fond of it). What do you all think?

asked almost 6 years ago

Ad0d3623 a28a 4793 82a8 5f1ab0a2f633  dsc00426

i've had swapped many messages with other food52 members regarding their recipes and mine. if i really wanted feedback on a recipe and knew that someone had actually tried it out, i would feel fine sending a message to ask how it went.

Oh, absolutely. I get comments regularly about modifications or substitutions food52ers have made to recipes of mine, and it's always interesting. This is a very generous community.

8f5038ed 8aca 4d33 aef7 8a0ce63adc40  img00019 20100929 0432 1

I agree with both answers. The private message option is wonderful for dialogue and feedback that may not warrant a posting in the comment section; also great to get to know another member better.

E4b7660b f3f6 4873 bd6d 2130a16403fb  img 1088

I agree--if you don't ask you never learn. But if you don't get a response, don't take it personally-- a lot of people's private email gets sent to spam--mine did till I changed it to a gmail acct.

8a5161fb 3215 4036 ad80 9f60a53189da  buddhacat

I agree with everyone above! I love getting feedback and it is always an honor when people ask me for feedback. This is a wonderful community!

48dd002c 4c45 4b84 8006 ac8614d467cd  dsc00859 2

Thanks, all. it was supposed to be tested for Ed. Pick but didn't make the cut; I can guess several possibilities why results may vary or even (horrors) fail. I'd really like to know!

Of course you would like to know because your recipes are amazing. Hope you will ask!

Thanks so much, SKK. What is amazing, though, is the alchemy. Have realized since joining this community that A) it can quite a lot of work and focus to create some recipes, esp. in the space of one week. Quite a challenge to create something new with results that can be duplicated every time B) some recipes just come together in minutes and work perfectly or finally C) some evolve over years and can almost be made blindfolded yet are nearly infallible.

@creamtea - yes I agree. And you are advanced. I am still stuck on transferring my dishes into a recipe that others can follow. That takes longer than shopping, cooking and cleaning up x 10!

I don't know if I'm advanced, but, yes, very time consuming and challenging to put into words & measurements that others can follow (esp. with a hungry family waiting patiently). I don't measure salt, pepper, oil, or vanilla anymore, so I have to stop myself (scooping salt out of my cupped palm to measure with a measuring spoon). I used to read Gourmet magazine religiously for years, and their "format" & wording is kind of stuck in my head, so I just go with that. Cleanup, though, takes me FOREVER.

7971e363 c700 4683 b67b 640b9cf9144e  federicocooking

Let me add my voice to the chorus. We're here to learn from one another and to tweak recipes until we get them just right. Of course you should query about how things came out and constructive criticism is always welcome, I think, by most members of this site.

Yes, I agree that the process is time-consuming. But better that than winging something that just doesn't work for another cook who can't read one's mind. And more's the better that the submission cycle had been lengthened.

Thank you all, I did have the conversation with another member. Boulangere, I'm with you on the longer time period; it can be pressured to come up with recipes for flavorful dishes within the space of a week; barely time to test & refine it more than once or twice, unless it's an old familiar "friend."