Best way to make chickpea flour?

I'd like to turn these dried chickpeas I've got into chickpea flour, so ...
cuisinart v. coffee grinder? anything else?
dried, or cooked/dried/roasted first?

any suggestions and experiences would be appreciated!

inpatskitchen
inpatskitchen September 3, 2011

Run the dried chickpeas through the food processor until they get floury and then pour the flour through a sieve to get rid of any large pieces. If you want toasted flour, roast the dried chickpeas for about 15 minutes at 375 to 400F and then run them through the food processor.

PrefersPie
PrefersPie September 3, 2011

Thanks! Will give it a try.

Panfusine
Panfusine September 4, 2011

The chickpea flour sold in Indian grocery stores is made from powdering roasted chickpeas..the roasted variety is called Dalia dal. it crumbles to a fine powder when crushed between the fingers.

SKK September 4, 2011

I agree with Panfusine. First roast the chickpeas. And the best way to make any flour is with a Vita-Mix. If you are going to be making your own flours, it is worth the investment. Plus they last for years!

Panfusine
Panfusine September 4, 2011

No need to physically roast it by yourself.. (infact i believe it isnt trivial, they roast it using hot sand for an even texture).. If you have access to Indian grocery stores pick a packet of one of these and subject it to any grinding device from a vitamix to a coffee grinder!

PrefersPie
PrefersPie September 5, 2011

Thanks everyone! We went with cuisinart (until the day we have a vitamix...) which did the initial work and then finished it off with the coffee grinder - came out beautifully! Used the chickpea flour for tortellitas that were great.