Is Hersheys Special Dark "A blend of Natural and Dutched Cocoas" The same as "Dutch Processed Cocoa Powder?"

I am making Whoopie pies and have been to 6 different stores in search of Dutch Processed Cocoa Powder, this is the closest I have found. Will it work?

asked by stayupthetree about 7 years ago

I don't know if Hershey's special dark is dutched or natural but here is an interesting article from cooks illustrated on the difference between dutched and natural cocoa,
http://www.cooksillustrated...
Its very helpful.

Dutched is dutched, special or not. The Dutch were among the earliest Northern Europeans to bring cocoa beans back from their travels. Dutched cocoa refers to that which has been treated with an alkalai in order to neutralize its acidic components, and therefore render it more blendable. Natural cocoa has not been "dutched". I actually prefer the natural, but if you use it, be sure to increase the baking soda to compensate for the additional acid. Chocolate is naturally acidic. The traditional formula is for every 8 ounces of acidic ingredient, add 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda.

Dutched brands include Droste Equal Exchange (from Whole Foods); if it says "cocoa processed with alkali" it is Dutched. Does the Hershey's specify whether it can be used in baking, i.e. does it have sugar (or other ingredients) added that might affect your recipe? It's odd that it comes as a blend of natural and dutched cocoas, usually it is one or the other.

stayupthetree

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001EQ4SHK/ref=asc_df_B001EQ4SHK1696638?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=asn&creative=395093&creativeASIN=B001EQ4SHK

wssmom

The Hershey's blend does contain an alkalizing agent (Dutched); it is a 50-50 blend of natural and Dutched cocoa.

So if the Hershey's blend is half and half natural and "dutched" cocoa, revise the formula to add 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda for every 8 ounces of acid, or undutched cocoa. Sift the cocoa powder into the dry ingredients along with the baking soda.

If your recipe calls for 3/4 cup natural cocoa and I wanted to use dutched would I add just a hair under 1/4 tsp extra? There is already 1 1/2 tsp baking soda along with the same amount of baking powder. This confuses me.