Are pickles related to cucumbers?

asked by a Whole Foods Market Customer about 7 years ago

inpatskitchen
inpatskitchen

Pat is a trusted home cook.

Pickles are cucumbers that have been brined and "pickled" usually in vinegar, salt and sometimes sugar with dill and other aromatics.

mcd2

other veg's can be pickled too. the pickling solution can vary its ingredients to bring out a certain taste in the veg. so eventhough cucumbers are the base of store bought pickles, the flavorings make them bread and butter type or dills or sweet pickles etc.the possibilities are great for pickle tastes and varieties. so many recipes, so little time...

Cucumbers can become pickles but not all pickles are cucumbers. Pickling and fermenting are preservation techniques which have the added benefit of enhancing flavor, like say, kimchi.

They're related, but only by marriage.