Pickled cucumbers

I live in Ireland and have not come across Shosi used in the pickled cucumber recipe. Is there a substitute I can use?

asked by Pauline over 6 years ago

Try mint, spearmint or peppermint.

I also wanted to add that sometimes, shiso is called "perilla"

Pauline

Haven't heard of perilla, I must live in the back woods! Thanks, I'll ask my organic veg shop.

Ophelia

It's also sometimes called "beefsteak plant". I can't remember whether my grocery store sells it as Shiso or Perilla, but my gut says the former.
Basil or mint are both okay substitutes (thai basil might be better than italian), but you might consider adding a little umeboshi paste as well, it contains shiso and has a bite similar to the fresh herb (don't add a lot though, it's pretty salty tasting).