🔕 🔔

Pumpkin confusion

What's the difference between canned pumpkin and pumpkin pie filling? And does it really matter if the two are interchanged?

asked by skittle about 6 years ago

0dcfb05c 8a90 480f 8cf7 cbc33e9a6b5c  me

Pumpkin pie filling contains spices like allspice and nutmeg plus added sugar. Canned pumpkin is just canned pumpkin. You can sub canned pumpkin for pumpkin pie filling if you add spices, but it's not a good idea to do the reverse!

2f4926e2 248b 4c22 a6f7 8f2d888b8488  3 bizcard

Pumpkin pie filling is already spiced and I think it may be sweetened also, someone correct me if I am wrong, Pumpkin puree is just pumpkin no sweeteners or spices. You can use either or but the puree will have to be spiced and sweetened,

2269774e 64e7 47ec 8fb3 d6fb03cce199  debbykalk photo

Just checked a can of pumpkin puree and it has one ingredient listed: pumpkin.
Perhaps you are getting ready to make those divine salted pumpkin caramels? They are on my list as soon as the weather cooperates.

99988d06 447b 42cb 882b b91e16b76a4a  hp scands 842919525854

Straight canned pumpkin - as opposed to pumpkin pie filling - is good for dogs when they have stomach troubles. Our vet has recommended this when we have called to ask what to do with our dogs who are having a "bad stomach" (aka, the runs). Sorry - unpleasant - but good to keep on hand (along with brown rice) if you are a dog owner. :)

67544da8 1862 4539 8ec8 2d9dfc2601bb  dsc 0122.nef 1

this was an answer to my un asked qn.. They served this awesome pumpkin soup at the Bobby Flay Book Signing event at Williams sonoma, & canned pumpkin was the chief ingredient! Thanks!

2e76cf97 2d3d 429e a4b4 7be0bcf4c88d  headshot

I've also heard that the "pumpkin" used in both canned pumpkin and canned pumpkin pie filling is actually often butternut squash, FYI.