Do you cook the corn before cutting it off the cob, or is it raw?

Do you think it would freeze well?

asked by babycook almost 5 years ago
22b9ddc9 fc61 48a3 949e dee341974288  liz and dad

Are you asking about a particular recipe? You can do either, depending on the recipe.

And yes, I think corn freezes very well.

84baef1b 1614 4c3d a895 e859c9d40bd1  chris in oslo

Regardless of the recipe, the important thing to remember is that fresh corn doesn't need much time to cook. So, in most situations, you'll be fine if you cut the corn from the cob before you add it to your dish and cook it.

E0cc9d5c 6544 49fb b0e4 5c150d9ac0f7  imag0055

Many recipes make you strip uncooked corn from the cob before using it in a particular dish calling for corn kernels. (You should use the back of a knife to scrape the milky juice out, too.) This can be a very messy, sticky procedure.

Thus--- I have much better luck if I blanch the corn for a minute or so in boiling water. The corn is still not fully cooked but it comes away from the cob MUCH more easily and can then be used in a recipe. This is also the exact procedure for freezing corn. If freezing, remove the hot cobs to a sink full of cold water to cool them quickly before stripping the ears.