How do u cook quinoa

a Whole Foods Market Customer

Rinse first to wash away bitterness (unless it is pre-rinsed), Then cook like rice.

wssmom
wssmom September 15, 2011

Rinsing is key You can also soak it for five minutes before cooking; basically, cook it like rice. When you see the little white fibers, it means the quinoa is done.

a Whole Foods Market Customer

Maria Speck has written a great resource book for cooking grains, Ancient Grains for Modern Meals. I follow her method of cooking quinoa: Rinse 1 cup quinoa, then combine it with 1 3/4 cups water in a pot. Bring the quinoa to a simmer and cook until tender, 10-20 minutes. You will end up with 3 cups cooked quinoa.

healthierkitchen
healthierkitchen September 15, 2011

i actually like to cook it more like pasta: cook in more water than you would for rice, maybe cover the quinoa by an inch or two. Simmer uncovered for about 10 15 minutes. After about 10 minutes, watch for the "endosperm" or little squiggly white bit to show in the center of each grain, and then drain. I find that doing it this way leaves a little bit of the bite, so it's not mushy.

a Whole Foods Market Customer

Working as a private chef at Good Commons, a boutique retreat center in Plymouth, VT , I've cooked more quinoa than China's got rice. (Well, maybe not quite—but a lot!) Best cooking method I've found includes soaking the quinoa for anywhere from 15 minutes to an hour. Rinse. Ratio is one part quinoa to 1 1/4 parts liquid (water, stock, I've even used almond milk). Bring liquid to a simmer. Add quinoa. Cook covered for 30-35 minutes on medium-low heat. Turn off and let sit for 5 minutes. Fluff with fork, season and serve.

Food odyssea
Food odyssea September 15, 2011

I've added onion, parsley in the water. Gives a nice subtle flavor to the quinoa.

MariaSpeck
MariaSpeck September 20, 2011

So nice to see my new book "Ancient Grains for Modern Meals" mentioned here. Thank you, "Whole Foods customer". I love using quinoa for its delicate grassy flavor, and - great for busy people - because it is on the table fast. Drop by at my Facebook fan page, named after the title of the book, with any whole grain questions. Will be delighted to answer them.