🔕 🔔

How do you cook quinoa?

asked by a Whole Foods Market Customer about 6 years ago

766e7ce3 8394 4788 8337 bbd8a8d3a07e  5.15.11 coconut macaroons best sm

For every 1 cup quinoa, use 2 cups water. Bring water and quinoa to a boil, then put the heat on low, cover the pot, and cook about 20 minutes, until grains have absorbed all the liquid. You can also toast the quinoa in a small amount of oil before adding water to the pot, for a slight change in flavor and texture; but this is completely optional.

8a5161fb 3215 4036 ad80 9f60a53189da  buddhacat

Be sure to rinse the quinoa before cooking in water. Quinoa has a natural coating called saponin that repels insects and birds and can create a bitter taste.

0dcfb05c 8a90 480f 8cf7 cbc33e9a6b5c  me

Totally agree with SKK. If you don't rinse the quinoa (three or four times through a strainer) it can taste very bitter.

Cd4936f2 2555 42a6 bab6 b78ae625f4ec  img 3538

I also use a 2:1 ratio of water to grain as Syronai says and rinse before hand as well. Recently I did it for our daughter's birthday. She loves couscous and we were out so I substituted quinoa. Then I added in chopped dried apricots, sliced very green olives and toasted almonds, with olive oil, maldon salt and lemon juice.

549d9fb3 53ef 4170 b68e 8bae2e055be7  dsc 0048b

I cook quinoa a little more like pasta, in a little more than the 2:1 ratio. Once the water boils, lower to a high simmer and keep an eye on it - once the endosperm shows itself, maybe after 10 or 12 minutes, you can drain it over a fine mesh strainer. It keeps the quinoa from getting to soggy! As to rinsing, it depends on brand. Some say on the package that it doesn't need rinsing. If it says nothing at all, I rinse.

C0d1f1de 4134 43ba 9510 1d7a8caa31f3  scan0004

Here's an all-quinoa website. She uses a cooking technique that's a bit different, where you finish by steaming. There are lots of recipes, using quinoa in ways you may never have dreamed.

http://www.cookingquinoa...

And here's the link!!

8e507f5f d9f6 4f7b bc71 924644356ec4  m eats huarache

I love cooking quinoa because you can SEE, as healthierkitchen said, when it's done. I don't worry about measuring the water/quinoa ratio-- just make sure that it is at least 2:1. When you see the little curls of the endosperm, you can drain off any additional water and use it to replace a portion of the oil in a vinaigrette, or, I used to use it to replace the water when I baked bread.

Bb911bcd 2446 4d8f 848f cdc2090e999a  leaf cake

The 2:1 ratio usually works. Think of using fresh apricots this time of year, to be added diced up at the last minute. I also love to add roasted slivered almonds, feta cheese, cherry tomatoes, and roasted corn.