What is the ratio of liquid to quinoa when cooking it?

asked by a Whole Foods Market Customer about 7 years ago

la domestique

1cup quinoa to 1 3/4cups liquid.

I use Martha Rose Shulman's recipe for quinoa which is 3 cups liquid to 1 cup quiona.

Place the 1 cup quinoa in a bowl, and cover with cold water. Let sit for five minutes. Drain through a strainer, and rinse until the water runs clear. Bring the 3 cups water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Add salt (1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon) and the quinoa. Bring back to a boil, and reduce the heat to low. Cover and simmer 15 minutes or until the quinoa is tender and translucent; each grain should have a little thread. Drain off the water in the pan through a strainer, and return the quinoa to the pan. Cover the pan with a clean dishtowel, replace the lid and allow to sit for 10 minutes. If making for the freezer, uncover and allow to cool, then place in plastic bags. Flatten the bags and seal.

A little difference of opinion here. 3 to 1 sounds like too much liquid to me. I go with a 2 to 1 ratio with of course some salt.

wssmom

In weighing in here, I usually use a ratio of 2-1 water to quinoa, and add more water if needed.

sheredel

shulman's ratio is similar to one I saw for cooking couscous. will give it a try.

One of the reasons I love cooking - so many ways to produce a great recipe!

What is useful for me in Shulman's recipe is that first the quiona is soaked for 5 minutes and then rinsed - takes away bitter taste. Then the draining of the water after cooking and placement of dish towel over pot under lid for 10 minutes. This recipe takes no thinking, which is useful for me, and always comes out great.

halfasiangirl

I use 1 cup quinoa to 1.5 cups water in a rice cooker. Perfect for me (I have a horror of mushy quinoa).