freezing eggs

Can I freeze whole eggs? I have a bunch of eggs that are about to pass their sell by date, and I would rather not have to make something just to use them up.

• Posted by: ATG117
  • September 17, 2011

karen.carr
karen.carr September 17, 2011

Sell by date is not the same thing as eat-by date. The eggs will be fine at least another week or so.

Greenstuff September 17, 2011

Eggs are fine well past the sell-by date, which is generally 30 days on a store shelf, and even well past the extra week or two that karen.carr suggests. The US Department of Agriculture has found that eggs stored for 70 days had no decline in quality! Angel food cakes made from the old eggs were light and fluffy, bacterial contamination was not an issue for eggs that were cooked. Check out http://www.ars.usda.gov/is/AR/archive/jun04/egg0604.htm

ATG117
ATG117 September 17, 2011

Thanks for the info, but I don't plan on using them. I am thus still interested in whether they can be frozen, if not whole, then whites and yolks separately..? I'd also be grateful if someone can suggest the best way of freezing them. Thanks.

Greenstuff September 18, 2011

Well, okay. In fact they can be frozen, just not in the shell. You can break them into a container, stir without whipping, and add a little salt. Same thing for yolks alone. The whites don't need the salt.

Here's a reference that suggests sugar as an alternative to salt and gives some other advice too: http://extension.missouri.edu/p/GH1504

ATG117
ATG117 September 18, 2011

Thanks. Definitely would not have known about the sugar/salt tip.