🔕 🔔

freezing eggs

Can I freeze whole eggs? I have a bunch of eggs that are about to pass their sell by date, and I would rather not have to make something just to use them up.

asked by ATG117 about 6 years ago

Sell by date is not the same thing as eat-by date. The eggs will be fine at least another week or so.

84baef1b 1614 4c3d a895 e859c9d40bd1  chris in oslo

Eggs are fine well past the sell-by date, which is generally 30 days on a store shelf, and even well past the extra week or two that karen.carr suggests. The US Department of Agriculture has found that eggs stored for 70 days had no decline in quality! Angel food cakes made from the old eggs were light and fluffy, bacterial contamination was not an issue for eggs that were cooked. Check out http://www.ars.usda.gov...

Thanks for the info, but I don't plan on using them. I am thus still interested in whether they can be frozen, if not whole, then whites and yolks separately..? I'd also be grateful if someone can suggest the best way of freezing them. Thanks.

Well, okay. In fact they can be frozen, just not in the shell. You can break them into a container, stir without whipping, and add a little salt. Same thing for yolks alone. The whites don't need the salt.

Here's a reference that suggests sugar as an alternative to salt and gives some other advice too: http://extension.missouri...

Thanks. Definitely would not have known about the sugar/salt tip.