Just for fun:what's your go to food?

What do you eat when you're really hungry?What's the first thing that comes to your mind and makes your mouth water?

• Posted by: mensaque
  • September 18, 2011

boulangere September 18, 2011

Pasta. No contest.

sdebrango September 18, 2011

Eggs benedict.

inpatskitchen
inpatskitchen September 18, 2011

Pasta and if there's clams I'm really happy!

Sam1148 September 18, 2011

My quick 'no cook' meal for is a rotisserie chicken. Cut up half and brush with hosin sauce.
Broil until warm or crispy. And serve on warm tortilla wraps brushed with sesame oil, with green onion bits and more hosin sauce.
Rice and egg rolls as a side dish.

Hank Hanover
Hank Hanover September 19, 2011

The ultimate fast food a steak and a baked potato.
Oven bbq pork tenderloin and Elgin smoked sausages with rice as a side dish.
A rice casserole
a stirfry of some kind
a rice pilaf of some kind

CarlaCooks
CarlaCooks September 19, 2011

Breakfast burritto! Sauteed potatoes with onions and bell peppers, crispy bacon, scrambled eggs, salsa and avacado if I have them, and plenty of hot sauce. Yum!

Panfusine
Panfusine September 19, 2011

I retreat back to my roots... Spiced yogurt rice (which certifies me an incorrigible South Indian!)

EmilyC
EmilyC September 19, 2011

If I'm cooking -- some type of pasta or a roasted meat with mashed potatoes. If I'm not, then there's not much better than a good burger, fries, and a chocolate malt!

MTMitchell
MTMitchell September 19, 2011

Anything I can get my husband to put on the grill, and spaghetti with sausage and peas.

beyondcelery
beyondcelery September 19, 2011

If it's just me, fried rice with lots of veggies and roasted tofu. Possibly a peanut sauce on the side if I'm feeling nutty. If it's both me and my husband, roasted potatoes, oven-roasted broccoli with garlic and lemon, and meatloaf.

Niknud
Niknud September 19, 2011

Oh a grilled cheese sandwich for sure. With extra cheese, mustard and a slice of tomato. And please don't scrimp on the butter - it's what gives the outside its golden brown crackly deliciousness. Mmmmmummmmm....so hungry!

ChefJune September 19, 2011

Depends upon what's available at the time. My first choice is always chicken soup with matzo balls, but I don't always have matzo balls at the ready. Pasta is always available, with some sort of sauteed veggies and cheese. But what I'm generally craving is the soup, or roast chicken, or a burger.

Meatballs&Milkshakes
Meatballs&Milkshakes September 19, 2011

Any kind of pasta in general, but a nice, cheesy mac and cheese wins every time. Also, a thick, juicy burger. I walk by a Shake Shack (delicious burger place in NY) on the way to and from the gym, and it makes my mouth water every time!

wssmom
wssmom September 19, 2011

Cool question ... in the summer, it's a sliced fresh tomato sandwich on homemade bread with fresh mayo and some salt and pepper; in the winter, it's garlic mashed potatoes!

mensaque
mensaque September 20, 2011

Thanks for playing along everybody!Some of you red my mind:grilled cheese sandwich or fries and malted chocolate milkshake...yummm!And rotisserie chicken;who could resist the smell?And Niknud is so right:always extra butter!!!Also the tomatoes:as a child I used to bite off big chunks with some salt...and my mom makes a mean sandwich with olive oil...OK!Now I'm hungry!

creamtea September 20, 2011

I'm late to the party. Fried egg with good salsa. Sprinkled with sea salt and aleppo pepper.

spuntino
spuntino September 20, 2011

A pile of sauteed greens (broccoli rabe is good right now, with garlic/onion) with a fried egg on top! And maybe a touch of grated pecorino.

a Whole Foods Market Customer

My go to is a brined butterflied and then grilled chicken. I brine it during the day in 1/2 cup kosher salt, `1/2 cup granulated sugar, 2 bay leaves and even mix of chicken stock and water to make 1 gallon of brine. I put the whole chicken in the brine and cover with 3 cups of ice and put in the refrigerator for 6-8 hours.
I take the chicken out, pat it dry and then butterfly it by cutting out the back using scissors. Then scoring the keel and putlling it out allows the chicken to lay flat.
I usually then rub some dry garlic, pepper and smoked paprika over both sides and grill it until I get 160 degrees in the breast.
I let it rest for 10-15 minutes then cut it into 10 pieces (2 thighs, 2 drumsticks, 2 wings and each breast halved to make 4 pieces).