🔕 🔔

How best to cook for two people?

I have an unbelievably bad habit of making way too much food. I hate to see food go to waste, but I love experimenting and trying new things everyday. I'm not really a protein and two sides kind of cook. I need recipes/ideas that are perfect for two disparate people: a girl that doesn't eat that much (and eats mainly vegetarian food or fish), and one 20-something male who eats for 2 and needs protein to be satisfied. How can I reconcile this every night for dinner?

asked by thebunalsorises over 4 years ago
0dcfb05c 8a90 480f 8cf7 cbc33e9a6b5c  me

Until I educated The Spouse in the wonders of vegetables, I had a similar problem. One of the ways I enticed him into eating greens was to put most of my energy into several lovely "side" dishes (which were the main part of the meal for me) and then simply grilled or roasted a sullen hunk of protein for him to consume. You might also consider getting him to cook as a way to expand his palate; this tactic worked brilliantly for my children!

F83774ec c18a 46a4 8dff 00877f15aed6  image
Kristen W.

Kristen W. is a trusted home cook.

I employ a lot of the strategies mentioned above, but have also been known occasionally to call my husband at work and tell him, "I'm making such-and-such tonight -- if that's not enough protein for you make sure to pick something up on your way home." He'll grab some sausage to throw on the grill or even a rotisserie chicken and that way he can get his fix without my having to do any extra work.

Also have to say that over time, my husband -- a self-proclaimed meat & potatoes guy with a love of all things fried -- has acclimated to a much more vegetable-centric diet. But then, he's a lot older than 20 something, so it might not be as hard a sell for him...

Anyhow, good luck!