How to peel and poach tomatoes?

I'm trying to recreate a recipe for a sandwich that had a peeled and gently cooked tomato half in it. Any advice on how to do this? Thanks in advance!

aargersi September 22, 2011

Get a salted pot of water boiling. Cut a little x in the top of each tomato. Dunk them in the boiling water for just 30 - 45 seconds, then into a bowl of ice water. The skins will slip right off! For the gently cooking - well that is going to depend really but I would likely drizzle them with olive oil, a pinch of salt, then into a 350 oven until they are the right amount of done-ness. I might drizzle a little balsamic too. And add a pinch of rosemary !!!

wssmom
wssmom September 22, 2011

To peel a tomato, blanch it for about 30 seconds in rapidly boiling water. The skins should slip right off. I would imagine if you returned the tomato to the water and let it set for a bit, it would poach gently, although I am not sure why anyone would inflict that on a perfectly good tomato LOL.

Kristy Mucci
Kristy Mucci September 22, 2011

Exactly what everyone else said! Here's a video of Amanda demonstrating two tomato-peeling methods

http://www.food52.com/blog...