Can I poach fish in Marcella Hazan's Tomato Sauce w Onion and Butter?

I've never poached fish in tomato sauce before, in general - is the sauce used for poaching good to eat over pasta? How do you think this sauce would work with (white) fish?

drbabs March 10, 2013

I think it would be really good.

mrslarkin March 10, 2013

I agree. I think it'll be pretty tasty. I love that recipe!

JadeTree
JadeTree March 10, 2013

Great! It's our favorite tomato sauce right now. I'll report back :)

Regine
Regine March 10, 2013

Will be good. I myself though might prefer to bake fish on its own and then pour some of the sauce on it prior to serving. Then top it with maybe some chopped dill and/or chive and/or scallion and/or cilantro etc.

Voted the Best Reply!

Marcella Hazan
Marcella Hazan March 11, 2013

The tomato sauce alone might be overpowering over the delicate flesh of a fish. There is however an astonishingly delicious Neapolitan dish of fish poached in tomato sauce known as Fish in Crazy Water. Tomatoes are cooked down in water with garlic, chili pepper and herbs. When the liquid has been reduced by half, the fish is added to what remains of it and poached. I gave the recipe for it in one of
my last cookbooks, Marcella Cucina, published in 1997.

JadeTree
JadeTree March 11, 2013

Thank you so much for your response! This will give me a wonderful excuse to get the book. We have your Essentials of Classic Italian Cooking, which is a delightful education. I still remember the glorious year we had so much basil that I froze dozens of packets of your pesto sauce (minus butter). That was a happy winter! And how we love this tomato sauce...

mrslarkin March 11, 2013

Marcella, I have that cookbook, and love it! I also noticed in that book you have a recipe for polenta baked with this sauce, which sounds incredible. I will be trying that very soon.

I think it's safe to say a lot of us on this site are addicted to your sauce. I even adapted it and made tomato soup, in homage to your original recipe. http://food52.com/recipes...

ChefJune March 11, 2013

Of course, Marcella is right.. but if you are cooking a gish woth robust flavor to begin with, that tomato sauce would be fantastic. We love it, as well. Fish with Crazy Water is also excellent.