🔕 🔔

766e7ce3 8394 4788 8337 bbd8a8d3a07e  5.15.11 coconut macaroons best sm

If the recipe isn't specific, I'd use quick oats or whole rolled oats. Look at the cooking time and the manner of cooking. Quick oats will cook much faster, rolled oats will cook slower and give your recipe a heartier crumb. (Quick oats are essentially rolled oats, cut up a little bit.) Steel-cut oats take MUCH longer to cook and the recipe would have been specific if that's the type they wanted you to use.

http://en.wikipedia.org...
http://en.wikipedia.org...

82fbe478 eac9 461e a846 f112358eb99c  image 3

The kind of oats you want depends a lot on what kind of cookie you are making and a lot on how long they are to bake. It also depends on what kind structure and flavor of cookie or baked good you are after.
For most recipes for cookies that oatmeal isn't the biggest part, using quick oats is probably the way to go just to add some toothsome goodness :)
For your standard oatmeal cookie, "old-fashioned" oats will give you more structure so I would go with that. From there, I would just say experiment with different types and combinations to see what you like :)

Hope this helps!

1097a5b5 1775 4eec a8ea 7421137b65dc  image 2 apples claire sullivan 2

For baking, I generally use old fashioned rolled oats - Quaker, typically. They're always in the pantry.

How they're used depends on what you're making: for cookies, the oats usually go straight into the batter as they are.

For breads or muffins, they're often soaked for about an hour in e.g., buttermilk before being combined with the other ingredients.

397bc6d3 46e8 4d02 8a39 ce4a087eb481  2015 0609 amanda portrait 135

I used Quaker rolled oats for the recipe.

6cb49ef7 38b5 4eb6 aae4 04078f60ca73  how to make a custard part 1
Shuna Lydon

Shuna is a pastry chef in New York City and author of the acclaimed blog Eggbeater.

In case you have a little extra time on your hands may I suggest toasting your oats before mixing them into said cookie dough? You can impart a little extra flavor, some je ne sais quois, with this method. Also, you can try rye or barley oats if you see them around-- sometimes a new oat can change your perspective.

I make an Irish Soda Bread/Brown Bread at Peels whose recipe calls for Steel Cut Oats, Oat Bran, Large rolled oats ( = Quaker) and small rolled oats ( = Quick Cookiing) and I adore all that oaty-ness.