🔕 🔔

What is the difference between whole egg and egg yolk in cookies?

I'm trying out different gingerbread cookie recipes and one of the big differences I'm noticing is that some recipes call for a whole egg and others use just the egg yolk. How much does this make a different in the end result?

Amanda is the Product Manager at Food52

asked 9 days ago

7b500f1f 3219 4d49 8161 e2fc340b2798  flower bee

Generally, using whole egg(s) in cookies gives a fluffier, softer cookie. Yolk(s) only go in crispier or more crumbly varieties. Within the context of the rest of the ingredients and method used, end results vary though. Hope this helps some.