Is there a difference between regular, red, and black quinoa besides just the color?

Can they be used interchangeably in recipes?

asked by m1800 over 6 years ago

LornaFarris

There is certainly a flavor difference. Red and black quinoa have a stronger flavor then regular. As far as I know it would probably be ok to use any of the three in a recipe calling for red or black quinoa - but you should be careful when substituting red or black for regular. The stronger flavor might overwhelm the other flavors in the recipe.

LE BEC FIN

I had no idea red and black existed. Must try some. thx much.

If quinoa follows the usual pattern in foods, more color is an indication of more antioxidant components.

la domestique

I use red, black, and regular quinoa interchangeably in recipes without any problems. Just depends on what kind of color I'm looking for on the plate.

a Whole Foods Market Customer

The black has a crunchier mouthfeel as well