Recipes for a vacation cabin.

We'll be staying 3 night at a vacation cabin in the mountains next weekend. We'll have a stove and fridge.
The water isn't drinkable so we'll have to haul in all water, food and cookware.
I'm looking for something a bit different than the usual fare of steaks, potatoes, and veggies.
Something easy to transport with minimal fuss and bother to make and limited spices.

• Posted by: Sam1148
  • October 1, 2011

sdebrango October 1, 2011

Boulangere's First Night in Florence Spaghetti is so delicious and easy to prepare:
You said the water is not drinkable but can you boil pasta with it?
If you have a grill make Jamie Olivers smoked beets and cottage cheese.

Sam1148 October 1, 2011

The water is very, very, high sulfur. I wouldn't use it for cooking anything. But the pasta might work, I've been really wanting to try that recipe...and might look for decent canned tuna next week.

sexyLAMBCHOPx October 1, 2011

Are you fan of a slow cooker? If so, great recipes on the williams - sonoma site.

Burnt Offerings
Burnt Offerings October 1, 2011

I echo sexylambchopx: Take a slow cooker and make some chili, a nice stew, chicken cacciatore, etc. If you want to make pasta - make a bolognese sauce in the slow cooker and serve it over pasta.