🔕 🔔

How long can I keep a can of Thai red curry paste once it's opened? It must be forever.

asked by ENunn about 7 years ago

2b00435b fe24 44bb afe2 ad3364f28f79  1390710 10151917400148928 1193325941 n 1

As long as its in the refrigerator, then yes it should last for at least three months if not longer.

Put it in a glass jar for storing. The metal can, once opened, can impart an unpleasant flavor to the paste. As Mr Vittles says, 3 to 4 months sounds about right. ;o)

9b7057f4 3dc4 4682 b30c 344179b9824c  img 0828

In the glass jar - i am counting on mine to last many months (a nice alternative to consider in the future is the Spice House Thai red curry powder for reconstitution - very acceptable substitute (better? yes.) alternative for the jarred version - trip to MKE or mail order is worthwhile - so good.)

7fba4658 4c6a 4dae 97c8 fa7edf75336e  rkm profile

Glass jar isn't necessary - small plastic tupperware works fine, although you can't ever use it for anything else after that, as it will pick up the curry smell and it's nearly impossible to get rid of! But once transferred and kept airtight, it lasts a loooong time.

I'm laughing, that you guys think 3 - 4 months is a long time. I just decided that it was time to replace mine. It's been about ten months, I think. Yes, I think changing those curry pastes once a year, whether they need it or not, is a good idea. (By the way, they don't last so long in the winter, when I use them a lot. But March through August I barely touch 'em.)

8c95dffc 04c0 434b 9fc8 cc60968e9c21  fb avatar

I purchased a jar of Simply Asia Thai Kitchen "red curry paste" for a red lentil and kambucha curry tonight. The little jar had a shrink wrap covering the lid, but it was not "vacuum sealed". Should it be vacuum sealed? Its made in Thailand and shipped to the US, and I though it might require a vacuum seal. What do you think?