🔕 🔔

I made a thai coconut curry dish tonight - chicken, veggies, coconut milk, fish sauce and some red curry paste. It came out well, but bland. How can I spice it up some? What's the magic ingredient to give it the spicy kick you get in Thai restaurants? Basil? THANKS!

asked by dr98 almost 7 years ago

549d9fb3 53ef 4170 b68e 8bae2e055be7  dsc 0048b

while thai basil and/or lemongrass might add another flavor the kick should come from the curry paste. You might want to experiment with adding more of that to the mix, a little at a time.

Ec89bac4 d90d 46fb a336 04afd14d1e80  img 1958

I agree with healthierkitchen - the spice comes from the curry paste. If adding more does not work, you can make your own with your own selection of chiles. That should kick up the spice. I also think that you need enough salt (fish sauce in this case) and acid (squeeze of lime and/or kaffir lime leaves) to balance the flavor of the curry.

8d15d9cf 7f9f 46ec a8b7 7adad145fc4e  dsc 0954 wheat bread

Here's what I do: saute garlic, minced fresh ginger, and onion in toasted sesame oil and canola oil until onions are soft. Add 2 tbsp. red curry paste for a medium curry stirring constantly for about a minute. I then add in tamari or soy sauce, mirin, and chili garlic sauce. You can then follow up with your coconut milk, chicken, veggies, etc. The basil doesn't add any kick, just a light flavor. I have found that letting a curry simmer for 30 minutes brings out its flavor. You may need to add a dash or two of sugar to mellow the flavors.

Use a good chile paste like Mae Ploy brand.

C45c94a0 2e08 45bf a73c 4235d1b3c4bb  image

Lime comes to my mind, and maybe the Thai basil or cilantro?

601beee2 bbea 46af 8d14 062df814e4cf  ati

if you blanch your vegetables and chicken beforehand and put in the curry last minute your curry will be less blend because all the ingredients still have there naturel taste. I always finish with tasting and then adding dried chiliflakes, fishsause and sugar till it tastes right.

B0f2c3df 9bf7 43fc 8544 eb75ba85a60e  kay at lake

It's a different spice note, but I find sriracha is always a good addition to Thai curry.

Thanks, everyone!