🔕 🔔

chicken soup with out chicken?

Hi.

Would love some ideas on creating a fast, easy, chicken soup without chicken. I love the taste of chicken broth, I just dont want to have chicken in it. Just some nice veggies in a chicken broth:)

asked by a Whole Foods Market Customer about 5 years ago
Wholefoods user icon

You can buy a product called No Chicken Broth by Imagine Foods. It tastes great on it's own or you can sub it in recipes calling for chicken broth. Whole Foods carries this product in the soup aisle.

http://www.imaginefoods...

Wholefoods user icon

Thank you. I do like chicken broth, I just dont want to have "chicken meat" in my soup.
:)

My weekend concoction included sautéed leeks, onions, shallots, and mushrooms, along with some roasted garlic. I deglazed the pan with a bit of dry vermouth. Added some butter-steamed carrots and fresh herbs to a good canned chicken stock (I poached some chicken breasts in the stock), simmered it all together for a bit, and then put it in the fridge overnight. I would have added potatoes (instead of chicken chunks), but it was Rosh Hashanah weekend in Jerusalem, and no stores were open.

766e7ce3 8394 4788 8337 bbd8a8d3a07e  5.15.11 coconut macaroons best sm

I'd go for chopped carrots, celery, and caramelized onions. Add some roasted garlic and white beans. A little chopped tomato if you have it (but not too much or it'll be tomato soup). Then noodles, potatoes, rice, or dumplings for your starch. If you want to be really fancy, fill your dumplings with a bit of wilted spinach or kale and some garlic.

48dd002c 4c45 4b84 8006 ac8614d467cd  dsc00859 2

Start with cold, clear filtered water, cut-up chicken, a whole onion, celery, carrots and sliced leeks; some cut-up parsley root is also wonderful in chicken soup. Important to add salt to draw out the flavors. Also a small handful of peppercorns in a teaball. Bring slowly to boil then turn down to a bare simmer. Longer for a strong chicken flavor (an hour and a half or 2 hours or more); for light flavor 45 mins. to an hour. Add parsley toward the end. Remove chicken pieces and vegetables; reserve the vegetables if you like them. Strain the stock through a large strainer lined with a double layer of cheesecloth (or a large Chemex coffee filter) for clear soup. If you don't like the "mushy" soup vegetables, you can discard them, reheat the stock in a cleaned pot with newly sliced carrots and celery and maybe a cut-up tomato, and simmer until they're tender. To maintain the clarity, boil pasta or rice in a separate pot of water, spoon into hot bowls and ladle in the soup stock. Some add minced fresh dill before serving.

In addition to all the good ideas above, you can cook a little turmeric or saffron in it, to take the raw taste off the spices and give the broth a lovely golden color.

I would take a good-tasting low sodium chicken broth and add whatever ingredients you like to it, like some chopped vegetables and simmer for about 10 minutes or heat some cooked leftover vegetables in the broth. My only advice would be to cook pasta, if you would like some noodles, first and then add to the chicken broth just before you eat. Otherwise, the pasta will continue to absorb the broth and get very mushy. Add some fresh herbs or some spices to add more flavor without adding more salt. A squire of lemon juice is a nice bright note too.