🔕 🔔
Loading…

My Basket ()

All questions

Water from washing crabapples is dark - what could that be?

Like every year, I picked a load of crabapples to make jelly, and like every year the wash water is grey, dark grey, almost black at first, then getting lighter with every rinse but it never becomes really clear, like other fruit. We live in a remote place, no roadside pollution from traffic, nor pesticides etc. This is the only fruit where that happens. I am pretty sure the fruit is safe to process, even if it's apple scab (which I don't think it is, the trees are healthy and the crabapples are plum and larger than ever this year from all the rain), it's safe to eat. The jelly always turns out golden-colored and crystal clear. Has anyone made a similar experience with crabapples? Thanks.

asked by MyGardenersTable almost 5 years ago
2 answers 1107 views
6f614b0c 899e 467f b032 d68711f70a39  2011 03 07 18 28 41 870
added almost 5 years ago

It sounds like the crabapples may have sooty mold. Here's some info: http://na.fs.fed.us/spfo...

It's doesn't appear to be toxic, but many people do have mold allergies...

272d72fa 27b1 4b4b b42f 0132f79e5d38  46a45ad9 247f 48c1 a5a5 1975acc94a0b 12
added almost 5 years ago

Thanks, that sounds right. Fruit with sooty mold according to several Extension Services is still edible, especially after thorough washing, so I am no longer concerned.