Our NYC Holiday Market is open (!!!) for the weekend. Come on by »
🔕 🔔

I've tried baking golden beets, and they turn black the longer they sit, even if they're still golden when I take them out of the oven. Why does this happen? What am I doing wrong?

asked by Jenny about 2 years ago
E7b6597b db6e 4cae b9f3 699b508f4ed3  036

Did you peel them and then they turned black? I just did some poking around and that appears to be the problem ... though I have peeled and the dressed them with no issues. So - roast and leave peels on until use, or peel and DRESS them is I think the answer.

I did not peel them. I did dress them with olive oil, S & P. Should I be using a vinegarette? Do you think proximity has anything to do with the blackness? Should they be roasted on a sheet pan in a single layer, rather than in a pile in a foil pouch?

1097a5b5 1775 4eec a8ea 7421137b65dc  image 2 apples claire sullivan 2

Do you mean the skin turns black, or the flesh of the beet turns black?

I generally roast beets (yellow, red, rainbow) in their skins - often in a foil pouch with a little olive oil, s&p. Let them cool until they can be handled, then remove the skins (if they're fully roasted, they should slip off easily.) From there, I slice and dress them with vinaigrette, or just store in the fridge (well covered) until needed - no discoloration. Are you roasting them long enough - until quite tender? Has this happened with more than one batch?

The skin and underlying flesh turns black in spots, and not like a burnt, charred black. They just discolor. I am roasting them until tender, and this has happened with two batches now. They were very fresh too, so I dont think the beets were bad.

Hmm. Wish I could help, but I've never encountered this. Will leave it to someone with more beet expertise than me.

I've had this problem many times, and in fact, sometimes the black spots don't appear until several hours or even a day after I remove them from the oven, peel and refrigerate. I've started simply boiling them, scrubbed but unpeeled, for that reason; I never have the problem, even when I let them sit in the water for a while to cool before peeling. Roasting is overrated to my mind when you have good fresh beets. They have so much flavor, even when carefully boiled, and frankly, I find them a little too sweet when roasted. ;o)
P.S. I put a few slices of ginger in the boiling water. You can barely taste it in the beets, but it does make a subtle difference.

7b500f1f 3219 4d49 8161 e2fc340b2798  flower bee

The aluminum foil is the culprit here. Crumple a sheet of baking paper to soften it and line your foil before wrapping the beets in it, then proceed roasting as usual.

Everyone, thank you so much for your help!!! :)