What type of orange should I buy to make oj?

asked by a Whole Foods Market Customer about 7 years ago

In CA we usually used navels.

someonewhobakes

actually, navels are the traditional "eating orange", and Valencia oranges are considered the "juice orange". They are much juicier and I can usually find them in big five- or ten-pound bags at the farmers' market (in CA).

wssmom

I confess to being smitten with cara cara oranges ...

GreasySpoon

If juicing for one or two a mix of both Navels and Valencia are good but if you need a lot for a family or a drink recipe then go with frozen and for each container of frozen made by package direction add the juice of one orange of any type.

Summer of Eggplant

I usually use navels and valencias, I find navels are juicier. I mix in blood oranges and clementines when in season. I would use whatever you like and whatever is affordable.

I like to mix my oranges love navel and valencia, I like to add the juice of honey tangerines to the mix.