Your personal shoppers, leaving home not required. Shop gift guides »
🔕 🔔

Where are your favorite places to eat in Philadelphia?

asked by iuzzini about 6 years ago
10e51050 649e 4a85 8af7 2b896997a1c4  image rcfbkcspubjytgbefpoq lrg

Distrito! Anything from Garces is good though http://www.grg-mgmt.com/

120b6edc 7926 4a78 9d36 220db11080b9  portrait

Oh, my goodness...how much time do you have? ;) Philly is such a great restaurant city. I grew up there through the Restaurant Renaissance in the 70s and I still miss it.

For high end dining, I love Lacroix at the Rittenhouse and anything by Marc Vetri. On the other end of the spectrum, Pat's for cheesesteaks (I know, tourist trap, but I still love it). Szechuan Tasty House at 9th and Arch (not the best Chinese food I've ever had, but pretty good for a restaurant of this type). Villa de Roma in South Philly for good, basic, Italian-American food like sausage & peppers. I haven't eaten at FriSatSun near Rittenhouse Square in years, but it was reliably good when I did. Brown Betty cupcakes are quite good.

I could go on and on, but that covers some of the fundamentals.

Ooooh, there are a lot of really great casual places -- Honey sit 'n eat, Dimitri's, and Royal Tavern come immediately to mind. Also, there are zillions of really good Vietnamese places. For dessert Capogiro makes amazing gelato and Franklin Fountain has fantastic ice cream.

C45c94a0 2e08 45bf a73c 4235d1b3c4bb  image

How many days do you have? I concur with just about everything mentioned above (haven't been to all). For higher end there's Tinto, Morimoto, Alma de Cuba. West Philadelphia has POD and White Dog Cafe. A great casual place for Vietnamese is called Vietnam, it's in Chinatown. The best falafel you will ever eat is at a place called Mama's on 20th street (and a block away from Capogiro gelato); cash only, the Israeli slaw and the red pepper/eggplant condiment is unbelievable. Mama's and Capogiro make a great lunch duet. Reading Terminal Market is a fun place to pick up lunch and products/ingredients you won't find elsewhere.

B0f2c3df 9bf7 43fc 8544 eb75ba85a60e  kay at lake

Two off-the-beaten-path favorites: Austrian Village, in Rockledge (homemade bratwurst, and red cabbage to die for), and Cafe Michelangelo, on Bustleton Ave.

693453b7 7e84 4b19 b610 d1ec77bbc42d  halloween

Thanks everyone! I will be there for a conference for 5 days, 4 nites-- that's potentially a lot of excellent meals! Coming from a city without many good restaurants, I am determined to make the most of the time! :)

I go there a lot and it is a good food city. First, I recommend L'Oca, a BYOB on Fairmount. Chef Luca has an incredible background in cooking all over the world and has now ended up here with his own place. Homemade pasta to die for. Second, a new one: Barbuzzo, on 13th, near Amis. Incredibly seasonal fresh food, very modest prices for the quality, and, to boot, a very clever wine list. Finally, near the Rittenhouse Square area, another BYOB, Melograno. Now housed in a bigger location, it serves great Roman cuisine, very fresh. Order the caccio e pepe and you cannot go wrong.

8bbce907 3b5e 4c8c be5c c64e6c780d63  birthday 2012
luvcookbooks

Meg is a trusted home cook.

Ray's Coffee Shop is inexpensive and makes the best coffee I have ever had.

Bb911bcd 2446 4d8f 848f cdc2090e999a  leaf cake

Warsaw is great, and for breakfast we love the Morning Glory - but be prepared to wait!