Substituting Lyle's Syrup for Honey?

I have a PB cookie recipe that calls for 1 cup honey. In an attempt to make them chewier I'm thinking of subbing Lyle's Golden Syrup. What would the sub proportions be? I'm thinking less than 1:1.....
BTW, discovered Food52 a couple of months ago and I'm in love! What a great site w/ wonderful contributers.

boulangere October 8, 2011

First of all, you've indeed discovered a profoundly deep site of great information and participation. Second, your question about Lyle's vs honey is a good one. Any liquid sugar is by definition an invert sugar. Think honey, molasses, Lyle's. They all contain an amount of acid which keeps them in their invert, or liquid state. As a result, you need to use baking soda to neutralize their acid. If you are using a recipe which calls for honey and you want to sub Lyle's, feel free. Just make sure that you're using 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda for every 8 ounces of Lyle's or honey. On you go!

JessicaBakes
JessicaBakes October 8, 2011

I've subbed honey for lyles before 1:1 and the result was just fine...don't know how it would act the other way around though

boulangere October 8, 2011

And if you want them "chewier", think about subbing 25% of your flour component with bread flour, which has a higher gluten content than all-purpose flour.

boulangere October 8, 2011

The higher gluten (the protein in flour) content will give you a more dense consistency, and therefor a more chewy cookie. Lyle's vs. honey isn't going to affect your consistency.

punkinpie
punkinpie October 8, 2011

Thanks, boulangere and Jessica. I'll give the Lyle's a spin w/ a 1:1 sub. Always looking to make cookies chewier so I'll get some bread flour too. Thanks again.