🔕 🔔

I just got a KichenAid pro 500 stand mixer where you raise and lower the bowl rather than a tilt-head.

Since I may not know how it should ideally work, I am wondering if I am doing something wrong not to have all my ingredients actually get mixed in: I know that I have the bowl locked in place and raised to the highest position, but the beater seems to miss the bottom of the bowl. Probably I should get that shield attachment to spare me all the bits flying out? Any advice for the complete novice?

asked by Sagegreen almost 7 years ago
22b9ddc9 fc61 48a3 949e dee341974288  liz and dad

I run into the same problem sometimes with my ancient tilt-head kitchenaid. This is more common when I'm doubling or tripling a recipe. I stop and scrape the bowl with a long rubber spatula several times to make sure the way bottom gets mixed in. As for the flying bits, I don't have the shield attachment, so I initially pulse the mixer (on-off-on-off) for 30 seconds or so until it's safe.

Bc343245 99fb 4d2b 8579 9bf9c485181e  me

I recently got the pro 500 too and have had the same issue. I've done what mrslarkin suggests, which works great. I've also lifted the bowl a bit and hold the bowl in place to make sure it gets the bottom. It's effective, particularly for whipping egg whites, but has some obvious drawbacks. On the shield attachment, I have it but haven't needed to use it . I adjust the speed of the mixer instead.

E4b7660b f3f6 4873 bd6d 2130a16403fb  img 1088

Kitchen Aid makes a scraper that you can get from Amazon. I'm trying to attach the photo. I tend to do what mrslarkin and chezsuzanne do, and I don't have a shield either. (And my mixer is circa 1983!)

3c67655f adc3 4700 b93e 65def4a8e4ef  ka scraper

D6706402 eb96 499d a671 b2e90db25df9  bike2

Thanks for all these tips. They help!

72b8c92f c97c 49cf 8fc2 4b08462521f6  me

I through a kitchen towel over the top that acts as a shield and I just tilt the bowl a little and then the attachments reach the bottom. This is a problem essentially with all stand mixers not just kitchen aids

B1ff7c6d 1bd4 41c2 a1a7 c1080efe383f  cathybarrow allrecipes e 2014
MrsWheelbarrow

Cathy is a food preserving expert and author of Mrs. Wheelbarrow's Practical Pantry: Recipes and Techniques for Year-Round Preserving.

I've heard the spatula type beater blade can wear out the motor. Anyone else heard that? I use the towel over the mixer trick a la THirschfeld - works well enough. There's always a mess to clean up, tho.

120fa86a 7a24 4cc0 8ee1 a8d1ab14c725  me in munich with fish

Sigh, even industrial stand mixers (we're talking 30-quart ones) don't get the bottom of the bowl. I usually just put on some gloves and mix thoroughly by hand. At home, try scraping down the bottom of the bowl really well. I don't have one of those nifty scrapers pictured above. That might be the final answer.