🔕 🔔

So many recipes for lasagne say cover with foil before baking. Why? Marcella Hazan & Mario Batali don't. Ann Burrell does. So....?

Add any details, clarifications, or relevant information here.

asked by aquarius about 6 years ago

549d9fb3 53ef 4170 b68e 8bae2e055be7  dsc 0048b

curious that some chefs don't say to cover. I always thought that covering helped it cook through more quickly and evenly - keeping in the steam and heat so that the insides of the dense dish cook. Especially if you're like me and don't precook noodles! then taking the top off for the last 15 or 20 minutes get you the crisp top. I have never cooked a lasagne completely uncovered - wonder what happens!

I can assure you that in Italy they don't cover lasagne to cook. But then, it's not filled with a wet, sloppy sauce al' americano either. Crispy edges are actually a good thing as is restraint on the saucing. The pasta "leaves" aren't in there just for bulk, they are the star of the show.

8f5038ed 8aca 4d33 aef7 8a0ce63adc40  img00019 20100929 0432 1

I believe that some lasagnes may be assembled "higher/taller" so covering would assist with the dish's overall cook through. My simple home-made basic cheese & pasta is short, so i cover for half the cooking time in the beginning. My meat/cheese/and veggie one is so tall & massive, requires my all-clad lasagne pan, and is covered for 90% of the cooking time. Also, I know my crappy stove and its inconsistent oven settings.

C0d1f1de 4134 43ba 9510 1d7a8caa31f3  scan0004

For recipes where pre-baked pasta is used (is that what it's called? -- the kind that cooks through in the oven), extra liquid is added and the pan is covered to let the pasta sheets cook through. This is a special situation. Even though you can find this kind of pasta imported from Italy, it is not the classic situation. Maybe that's what's at work in the recipes you've found.

766e7ce3 8394 4788 8337 bbd8a8d3a07e  5.15.11 coconut macaroons best sm

I know that I've never covered lasagne while it bakes. However, susan g is correct. My mom uses those pre-baked pasta noodles for lasagne sometimes and she has to cover it for it to cook through, even though she still finishes it uncovered and sometimes under the broiler to get it crispy on top. Personally, I like it best uncovered and thoroughly crisped all over.

Cd1b34a6 fe9e 4186 9e3d df5b7c3c8fd5  nlp 8843

I only use the "no boil" noodles when making lasagne in a camp Dutch oven & pour red wine around the sides to help steam them. So, using boiled pasta & sauce & meat that are already cooked I don't really see the need for covering the lasagna. Just baked one uncovered & loved it -- cooked fairly quickly, didn't need time to set up & wasn't runny. Also no cheese sticking to the foil!!!