Cheesecake

When baking a cheesecake, do you have to use a water bath to bake a cheesecake? When I use foil to cover my cheesecake while it's baking, the water also leaks in and my crust is always wet.

asked by Scottielew almost 6 years ago

Esther Plume

You don't *have* to, the water bath is just there to reduce the fluctuations in temperature. You run the risk of the cheesecake cracking, so it depends how perfect you want it to look... It'll still taste good without the water bath!

Benny

agree with above. I don't mind the cracking. I think it gives the cheese cake good character, so i never bother with a water bath.

Scottielew

Thank you all!

ChefOno

An alternative solution is to place your springform pan inside a slightly larger cake pan. Guaranteed not to rip and leak plus the air space between the pans prevents condensation from forming.