Cheesecake

When baking a cheesecake, do you have to use a water bath to bake a cheesecake? When I use foil to cover my cheesecake while it's baking, the water also leaks in and my crust is always wet.

Esther Plume
Esther Plume August 19, 2012

You don't *have* to, the water bath is just there to reduce the fluctuations in temperature. You run the risk of the cheesecake cracking, so it depends how perfect you want it to look... It'll still taste good without the water bath!

Benny
Benny August 19, 2012

agree with above. I don't mind the cracking. I think it gives the cheese cake good character, so i never bother with a water bath.

Voted the Best Reply!

lorigoldsby
lorigoldsby August 19, 2012

I respectfully disagree...I love the results when I use a water bath. Instead of covering the top of your cheesecake with foil, cover the OUTSIDE of your springform pan with foil, fill and then add the water to the pan as you slide it into the oven.

Scottielew
Scottielew August 19, 2012

Thank you all!

ChefOno
ChefOno August 20, 2012

An alternative solution is to place your springform pan inside a slightly larger cake pan. Guaranteed not to rip and leak plus the air space between the pans prevents condensation from forming.