🔕 🔔

Foil reaction

I baked a ham. After dinner, I covered it with foil and placed it in the fridge overnight for sandwiches today. When I uncovered it, the foil had somehow left "metal" where it actually was touching the meat? What is that?

asked by Chef Lisa over 4 years ago

5e9c0b8f c9a0 4744 abd2 1def5bbeaeca  1380644 562697560462865 988341931 n

Found my own answer. Caused from the salt in the ham (I even soaked in plain water for 10 hours to extract some salt). The deposits are not actual metal but rather aluminum salts. Supposedly harmless. A new one on me!

Tomatoes and other foods with high acid content also cause reactions--sometimes eating holes in the foil.

Bb911bcd 2446 4d8f 848f cdc2090e999a  leaf cake

Putting a layer of parchment paper between the food and the foil creates a barrier so the foil will not react.

I don't wrap food directly in foil or plastic wrap anymore--I always use parchment paper first.