We need your helping building our Holiday iPad App! Question by question, we'll ask you all for holiday entertaining tips -- starting now!

How soon after guests arrive should I serve dinner?

• Posted by: Food52
  • October 12, 2011

JessicaBakes
JessicaBakes October 12, 2011

Assuming you have a couple appetizer plates and good wine, 30 minutes- 1 hour

sdebrango October 12, 2011

I think an hour, giving your guests time to have a drink and some appetizers before the dinner

boulangere October 12, 2011

30 minutes to an hour allows for late-is arrivals, better timing in the kitchen, and jovial conversation over some appetizers and drinks.

Rivka
Rivka October 12, 2011

I'll split the difference at 45 minutes - long enough that it doesn't feel rushed, soon enough that guests won't start to wonder how long the party will be. If there are enough apps and drinks to go around, throw caution to the wind and start when the food's ready.

Robin O'D
Robin O'D October 12, 2011

I think 30 - 45 minutes, just enough time for a cocktail.

Food52
Food52 October 12, 2011

Fantastic -- thanks, Everyone!

Helen's All Night Diner
Helen's All Night Diner October 12, 2011

I usually plan on about an hour since I don't like to rush people & expect help/entertainment in the kitchen.

thirschfeld
thirschfeld October 13, 2011

I never ever put a time limit on it, but if you want I suppose you could call it the two cocktail timer, which should never be rushed but savored.

ApronAdventures
ApronAdventures October 13, 2011

30-45 minutes (assuming you've got a nice, light appetizer and delicious bottle of wine to enjoy while they wait)!

mkefoodie
mkefoodie October 13, 2011

I base it on number of guests and flow. If I'm at my home where there are a few small rooms and a few more people I make it an hour to allow mingling, because flow isn't as quick as if it was party of 5, starting at my kitchen island.

mkefoodie
mkefoodie October 13, 2011

mkefoodie
mkefoodie October 13, 2011

mkefoodie
mkefoodie October 13, 2011

Panfusine
Panfusine October 13, 2011

depends upon the number of guests.. if its a small close knit group, give it about 1/2 hr of drinks appetizers & start setting the table, this way, the dinner would get going at about 45 minutes..For a larger number of guests, give it 15 mins more.. this way you get a bit of extra time to set up, while the guests mingle! (just make sure the beverages, appetizers & snacks are a plenty )

enbe
enbe October 13, 2011

Ha! A plan? What a joke. I serve my guests when I've managed to get my course ready- but I'm a terrible kitchen planner. That said, I always have snacks & drinks (preferably an interesting cocktail so my guests feel like they've already started in on the interesting flavors).

I also totally agree with Panfusine, it depends on the crowd.

Sam1148 October 13, 2011

How soon..it depends on when that 'one' family member that's chronically late finally arrives, or when everyone has finished with small talk and sit down and a consensus is formed "okay they're far too late now, lets start"