Today's the last day of our NYC Holiday Market. So come see us! »
🔕 🔔

What is the smart way to order Small Plates in a restaurant?

How many? Is it rude to order just 2 and save room for dessert? Do you order an appetizer before them? Would you recommend small plates at all? Do they all come at once?

asked by HCR about 5 years ago
62da2e3c 5d4a 4c43 a2ed feb7f39ad363  with ab

So, if you're going with a group, I generally recommend a discussion about some things everyone would like, and then share family style. My rule of thumb is to order approximately 1.5 small plates per person (i.e. 2 people = 3 plates).

That said, to me, there's no "rude" when it comes to ordering--this is your meal! If you want to eat more dessert, by all means order only what you want.

Generally, they come pretty close to "all at once," but it's more of a steady trickle. Tell you waiter if you definitely want them all at one time or if you want them to trickle in slowly.

Enjoy! Small plates are a great way to try a bunch of things instead of just one dish!

HCR

Thanks Jessica! Going to order and eat now! It sounds like fun.