Where do you find masa harina? Can you substitute corn grits or corn meal for making tortillas?

Sam1148 October 13, 2011

Most supermarkets have that.
As for tortillas, you can have flour tortillas..which use simple All purpose flour, or 'masa' tortillas.
Masa is more finely ground, made from corn..corn meal would be a bit to coarse for most applications.

For supermarkets, in some places the masa harina in the 'ethnic food' section instead of the baking section.
So, try looking there instead of where wheat flour is displayed in the baking sections of the market.

Sam1148 October 13, 2011

Most supermarkets have that.

Sam1148 October 13, 2011

Most supermarkets have that.

susan g October 13, 2011

Masa, or masa harina is a traditional Mexican form of ground dried corn which has been treated with lime (a form of calcium). It is necessary to make real corn tortillas. Other forms of cornmeal will not give the right result.
If you can't find it locally, try online. If you are at WF, ask where they keep it. Another source is at a Latino grocery, and if you live near a Whole Foods, there is likely the population that supports them nearby.

JessicaBakes
JessicaBakes October 13, 2011

The flavor of masa is also quite different. You'll find that it's sweeter with a smaller, finer grind. Definitely worth getting

aquarius
aquarius October 14, 2011

Albertson's carries it. Masa harina became a pantry staple for me when a Tyler Florence chile verde recipe called for it in the sauce to give it a nice corn flavor. I also use it to thicken chili.

aquarius
aquarius October 14, 2011