Your personal shoppers, leaving home not required. Shop gift guides »
🔕 🔔

Making Corn Tortillas

I really want to try my hand at making my own corn tortillas. From what I've seen/heard, I think it's very doable. The one thing I am lacking is a tortilla press. Is this essential? Or could I use the back of frying pans or some other similar jerry-rigging to press the tortillas? Any success without a press?

asked by TheFritschKitchen over 4 years ago

The tortilla press is not essential, though if you're making alot, it's much easier with the press. You can use a rolling pin, just put the masa in between 2 pieces of heavy plastic (Ziploc freezer bags pretty good for this) and then roll out. I do this even with a tortilla press and I've seen taquerias do this too.

A9f88177 5a41 4b63 8669 9e72eb277c1a  waffle3

Variation on the theme: Two pieces of ClingWrap and a glass pie plate.

No need for a press really. Try both these suggestions before you commit to another piece of kitchen clutter.

E7b6597b db6e 4cae b9f3 699b508f4ed3  036

I have a tortilla press and I will say this - after the first time you make them and find out how incredible they are home made, you will want to do it often, and you will want to make a lot of them, and then you might think about a press. But try it without first. Couple tips - you want the pan (I use a 24" mondo iron skillet) piping hot. We like to squeeze a lime into the masa mixture alonmg with a good pinch of salt. And - better the mixture err on the side of a teeny bit too wet than crumbly.

Good luck! You are going to LOVE them!

120fa86a 7a24 4cc0 8ee1 a8d1ab14c725  me in munich with fish

I've made them using plastic wrap and a cast iron skillet. Sandwich the dough between the plastic and press down with the skillet. But I agree with aargersi: once you've made them from scratch, you'll fall in love with them, and they're easy to make, especially with a tortilla press.

9fe0c12c e20f 4669 bb88 2c31ee17d5e2  french river

thanks!! they're on the to-do list for this weekend!

9acfdd05 7247 4ff2 9a6c 9141e73a07c8  52 photo

Pictured using cling wrap and a pie plate: http://lapadia.wordpress...
I have a tortilla press, use it less.