Making Corn Tortillas

I really want to try my hand at making my own corn tortillas. From what I've seen/heard, I think it's very doable. The one thing I am lacking is a tortilla press. Is this essential? Or could I use the back of frying pans or some other similar jerry-rigging to press the tortillas? Any success without a press?

asked by TheFritschKitchen over 6 years ago

The tortilla press is not essential, though if you're making alot, it's much easier with the press. You can use a rolling pin, just put the masa in between 2 pieces of heavy plastic (Ziploc freezer bags pretty good for this) and then roll out. I do this even with a tortilla press and I've seen taquerias do this too.

ChefOno

Variation on the theme: Two pieces of ClingWrap and a glass pie plate.

No need for a press really. Try both these suggestions before you commit to another piece of kitchen clutter.

I have a tortilla press and I will say this - after the first time you make them and find out how incredible they are home made, you will want to do it often, and you will want to make a lot of them, and then you might think about a press. But try it without first. Couple tips - you want the pan (I use a 24" mondo iron skillet) piping hot. We like to squeeze a lime into the masa mixture alonmg with a good pinch of salt. And - better the mixture err on the side of a teeny bit too wet than crumbly.

Good luck! You are going to LOVE them!

petitbleu

I've made them using plastic wrap and a cast iron skillet. Sandwich the dough between the plastic and press down with the skillet. But I agree with aargersi: once you've made them from scratch, you'll fall in love with them, and they're easy to make, especially with a tortilla press.

TheFritschKitchen

thanks!! they're on the to-do list for this weekend!

lapadia

Pictured using cling wrap and a pie plate: http://lapadia.wordpress.com/2010/05/04/corn-tortillas/
I have a tortilla press, use it less.