🔕 🔔

What's your favorite recipe for Country Captain?

A few years ago, I had an amazing lamb Country Captain (a Southern curried stew) that tasted exactly like the recipe my mom made when I was a kid. Most recipes I see are very tomato-y, but I remember hers being less so. Now that it's fall, I'm getting in the mood. Is there a good standard?

asked by KirstenS over 5 years ago

Table 9 is a good southern cook, so you might direct an email to her. Sounds wonderful, and if she has some ideas, I hope one of you will post the results.

84baef1b 1614 4c3d a895 e859c9d40bd1  chris in oslo

I haven't made it for years, but I used to make one based on the recipe in Sarah Leah Chase's Cold-Weather Cooking. It does have tomatoes, but I don't remember the dish as being overly tomato-y. Perhaps I cut back on the tomatoes, or maybe all the peppers she suggested took the emphasis away from them. You can take a look at her recipe here: http://books.google.com...

E0cc9d5c 6544 49fb b0e4 5c150d9ac0f7  imag0055

Hands down, the one in Edna Lewis's The Gift of Southern Cooking, a wonderful wonderful book. If you don't own it, rush to your Amazon cart and throw it in there, quick. Lewis's is made with chicken, but it's the sauce that's the secret and I am sure you could figure it out with lamb.