What's your favorite recipe for Country Captain?

A few years ago, I had an amazing lamb Country Captain (a Southern curried stew) that tasted exactly like the recipe my mom made when I was a kid. Most recipes I see are very tomato-y, but I remember hers being less so. Now that it's fall, I'm getting in the mood. Is there a good standard?

asked by KirstenS almost 7 years ago

Table 9 is a good southern cook, so you might direct an email to her. Sounds wonderful, and if she has some ideas, I hope one of you will post the results.

I haven't made it for years, but I used to make one based on the recipe in Sarah Leah Chase's Cold-Weather Cooking. It does have tomatoes, but I don't remember the dish as being overly tomato-y. Perhaps I cut back on the tomatoes, or maybe all the peppers she suggested took the emphasis away from them. You can take a look at her recipe here: http://books.google.com...

mainecook61

Hands down, the one in Edna Lewis's The Gift of Southern Cooking, a wonderful wonderful book. If you don't own it, rush to your Amazon cart and throw it in there, quick. Lewis's is made with chicken, but it's the sauce that's the secret and I am sure you could figure it out with lamb.