Anyone have a good recipe for homemade "sloppy joes"?

• Posted by: iuzzini
  • October 31, 2010

Kayb
Kayb October 31, 2010

I start with some minced onion and garlic, sauteeing in olive oil, add the ground beef and cook it until all the liquid cooks away. Then I add some tomato sauce, some brown sugar, some paprika, some cardamon, some dry mustard (or spicy brown mustard) salt and pepper, some celery salt, a little rosemary, and then I taste and sprinkle until it tastes right. By that time it's simmered long enough, generally. Sorry that's so general, but that's about the best I can do....

pauljoseph
pauljoseph October 31, 2010

I love to share this two recipes for sloppy joes
http://indiankeralafood.blogspot.com/2010/06/sloppy-joes.html
gluttonforlife
gluttonforlife October 31, 2010

There's a great one at the bottom of this post: http://gluttonforlife.com/2010/09/27/nice-to-meat-you/

Mr_Vittles
Mr_Vittles October 31, 2010

A classical recipe for Sloppy Joes would be a yellow and a green bell pepper small diced (1/4 by 1/4), then a small onion small diced, a celery stalk small diced, a carrot small diced, and a clove of garlic small diced. Saute in olive oil until translucent, then add a tablespoon of tomato paste, brown tomato paste, and add a can of tomato sauce, a squirt of ketchup, squirt of mustard, sprinkle of dry thyme, and salt and pepper taste, if it is not sweet enough, then add a little honey. If it is too dry looking after incorporating all the ingredients then add a little water. Simmer for 15 minutes and your done! Best enjoyed on toasted buns.

StacyG
StacyG October 31, 2010

For sloppy joes I think simple is better. Whenever I try to get fancy with them I'm disappointed. Saute the ground beef until very browned. When the beef is almost done add a generous amount of chopped onion and celery to the pan. Cook until the veggies are done then add ketchup until the mix has enough sauce. Add a squeeze of yellow mustard and a cup of water. Simmer until the sauce is the consistency you desire. I serve my sloppy joes open faced on hamburger buns spread with yellow mustard. Top the meat mixture with grated cheddar cheese.

Mr_Vittles
Mr_Vittles October 31, 2010

Oops! I forgot to mention to brown the ground beef before add the veggies. Sorry about that!

iuzzini
iuzzini October 31, 2010

Thanks for the delicious suggestions! Sometimes you just need sloppy joes! ;) I can't wait to try them.

nutcakes
nutcakes October 31, 2010

My favorite one comes from The New Basics (Rosso & Lukins) because it has a nice tang

2 T olive oil
1 c finely chopped onion
1 rib celery, minced
1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
1/2 t oregano
1 lb lean gr beef
1/2 c ketchup
1/2 seasoned tomato sauce
1/4 c water
2 T red wine vinegar
1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 T packed dark brown sugar
1 tsp salt
ground pepper
Tabasco sauce to taste, opt

I serve on homemade regular or polenta roll.

betteirene
betteirene October 31, 2010

I think this is the original recipe. :) I was about 10 when I first made it in the 60s. Now I use an all-growed-up recipe like the one above from nutcakes, but every couple of years I'll throw this one together: A pound of 80/20 ground chuck, browned and drained, ketchup, mustard, brown sugar, enough water to bind it all together, simmer until the brown sugar melts and plop it on top of a white-bread bun; put dill pickle chips and plain potato chips on the paper plate next to the bun, or in the middle of the sandwich the way I used to do.

fry it
fry it November 1, 2010

Betty Crocker, it reminds you of your childhood, my friends call them 4 bite sloppy joes

iuzzini
iuzzini November 7, 2010

Just made a batch which pulled from each of these recipes- the winning ingredient though, was allspice from the recipe gluttonforlife posted- delish! Thanks everyone!