🔕 🔔

Anyone have a good recipe for making homemade seitan?

asked by a Whole Foods Market Customer almost 6 years ago

C0d1f1de 4134 43ba 9510 1d7a8caa31f3  scan0004

Here's information from a previous FP question -- you'll find references there.

27e464b9 6273 420b 9546 d6ed6ae12929  anita date
Anitalectric

Anita is a vegan pastry chef & founder of Electric Blue Baking Co. in Brooklyn.

I am still working on mine. The first few times it came out too dense for my taste. An acquaintance of mine recommended adding more water than the recipe on the side of the package calls for--which I have yet to try.

Until then, I've heard that Ray's seitan, based in Pennsylvania, is the best store-bought brand.

The only other thing I would add is that you should season it to your own tastes before simmering it in broth. I like to use poultry seasoning to give it a more meaty flavor (The ingredients of Seitenbacher's, my favorite brand, are: Sea Salt, Paprika, Garlic, Carrots, Onion, Chili, Oregano, Basil, Marjoram, black Pepper, Thyme, Nutmeg, Parsley, Ginger, Curcuma, Coriander, white Pepper, Fenugreek, Cumin, Fennel, Chive, Mustard, Celery.)