🔕 🔔

I've tried several ways to make candied nuts (pecans, walnuts) to add to salads but they never come out as well as the ones I eat out. Help!

I've used white sugar, brown sugar, frying pan, oven but they're gloppy and/or burnt.

asked by lindawee almost 6 years ago

62da2e3c 5d4a 4c43 a2ed feb7f39ad363  with ab

Have you used flour or some sort of starch to help the sugar source coat the nuts?

E4b7660b f3f6 4873 bd6d 2130a16403fb  img 1088

I use a combination of brown sugar, maple syrup and melted butter to make the coating and it works really well.
Here's my recipe: http://food52.com/recipes...
(You can leave out the pretzels.)

E6b7f7d7 5c8b 4b5b af10 0fad5d25b546  happy alice in mexico

Try this recipe. It's a Martha Stewart recipe which uses egg whites to coat then its first before adding the sweet and spice. It's Husband-Tested in my kitchen and works every time. http://fromaliceskitchen...

6f611b78 35b4 4186 89ad c38b035b32f3  08270410avatar messbrasil

Add some butter and baking powder or baking soda to your syrup after it's done and OUT of the heat.It will get fluffy and airy.It should be easier to coat and taste great...but I'm afraid you'll loose the shiny effect this way.

Forgot to tell to whisk fast and not to panic when it rises.It becomes like a foam.

79951eb6 6cc6 49ec beac f4df333fc031  img 3190

Yes, I agree with eggplayer. I have made carmelized spicy nuts with the following proportions: 1 egg white, 1 t. water, 2/3 c. sugar, 4 c. nuts which have been roasted, salt to taste, spices of your choosing. I like some sweet spices like cinnamon, and then some kick from cayenne. Mix beaten egg white, sugar, salt, and water together. Add nuts. Spread onto cookie sheet and roast at 250 degrees for an hour or a little less. Use parchment paper or silpat. Yummy!

8a5161fb 3215 4036 ad80 9f60a53189da  buddhacat

drbab's combination of brown sugar , maple syrup and butter is the winning combination for me. I have more luck baking in the oven on parchment paper at 350F than using a frying pan. One of my favorite recipes is Bourbon Rosemary Pecans http://therunawayspoon... that doesn't use butter or maply syrup. I also like to use walnuts.