Cookies are as hard as rocks

I made a batch of cookies today, a recipe I have made hundreds of times and the only variable is that instead of using land o lakes butter which I normally bake cookies with I had some plugra at room temp so used that. These cookies usually come out very soft and chewy and today I could use them as a weapon they are so hard. Any insight would be greatly appreciated, Could it be the change in butter??

asked about 7 years ago

JessicaBakes

Do you have an oven thermometer? And positive you remembered the baking soda?

I checked my oven and its correct actually a couple of degrees cooler than it should be so its not the oven temp,

Yes I used the baking soda, I have an oven thermometer didn't use it they baked to a nice golden brown, You know I used baking soda but its possible I need a new box. Maybe my baking soda is ineffective, Thank you Jessica that could be the culprit here. I will also check the temp of the oven

Ugh, you used the expensive butter and the cookies didn't turn out? I feel your pain. I'm not sure if this could have anything to do with it, but Plugra has a higher fat and lower water content than regular US butter, so you may have needed to adjust the oven temperature down to compensate.

I thought of that also drbabs I thought a higher fat content might yield a softer cookie but I was so wrong, I baked at 375 maybe I should have taken down to 350. Anyway they went in the trash completely inedible what a waste of expensive butter and other ingredients. I am buying new baking soda and testing my oven but rest assured I will not use plugra again for these cookies. I knew the water content would be different but thought it would be negligible. So strange. Thank you.

What kind of cookies! Now we want your recipe! The Land O Lakes version :-)

They were a recipe for chocolate caramel thumbprint cookies which I am going to post sans the plugra. It was not the baking soda I tested it with some vinegar and not my oven I took its temperature. It had to be the plugra. LOL, thanks aargersi!

a Whole Foods Market Customer

When you use land o lakes, is it typically at a room temp or cold? If you normally use cold butter and switch to room temp butter, that would definitely affect the baking time. And it's true that plugra has a higher fat content, which would definitely affect the baking time. I also completely disregard cooking time with cookies and gauge whether they are finished not so much by the edges, but by the center - seems to help.

I agree I never really time my cookies I eyeball them. These seemed fine a nice light golden brown. No plugra in my cookies from now on, it works wonderfully in my pies.

JessicaBakes

One last comment here: I always bake my cookies at 375. It's a religion for me...it makes the cookies gooey inside with a fully cooked outside. Don't go down to 350!

I do the same Jessia, always 375. I am now thinking it was the butter. Go figure!