Peeling butternut squash

What is the fastest way to peel butternut squash? Have a lot of them and am dehydrating them. Looked on-line and one recommendation was boiling them for 4 - 5 minutes. The rest were knife techniques? Does anyone have a favorite way? Thanks in advance!

asked by SKK about 7 years ago

JessicaBakes

Buy a great peeler. I used to really struggle until I peeled one with the kuhn rikon peelers from sur la table and suddenly it was easy. This is my best suggestion.

Hey JB - On your advice I went out and purchased a kuhn rikon peeler. Really, really works well. Thanks for the recommendation!

fiveandspice
fiveandspice

Emily is a trusted source on Scandinavian Cuisine.

I've always just used a good, sharp vegetable peeler on the raw squash as well. They work quite well on butternut since the outside is smooth. Ridged squash are a lot trickier.

I just use a good sharp chef's knife. I separate the neck at the top of the bulb, then take off both the stem and flower ends. I stand them flat vertically, and carve away the peel from top to bottom. They can be a little hard on a vegetable peeler.

Get out of my HEAD!
I just bought one today after seeing the recipe for the soup. I've really never used it and looked online for pealing tech.
(this is for tomorrow's dinner).
I came across the suggestion of microwaving it 4 mins. (with fork holes in the squash) to loosen up the skin and make it easier to cut and peel.
I'm going to add a bit of grated ginger to the soup to depart from the posted recipe.

Hey Sam, Let me know how the microwave goes! Thanks.

It works! A good friend recommended microwaving the squash for 3 minutes on high power. The peeling comes off easily after that.

Thanks, ChefJune!

I changed my game plan and cut it in half and roasted it to use in a thai coconut curry type soup.
It's cooling now..I just cut in half and coated with oil. baked at 400 for 40 mins and will scoop it out soon and mix with thai red curry paste, onion, ginger, lime zest, lemon grass paste, chicken stock and coconut milk to make the soup.

Thanks, Sam. Going to steal your recipe. I did buy the kuhn r. peeler and it worked beautifully peeling the squash and cutting my finger. Really, really sharp - as the lady in the store warned me.

Droplet

I also read somewhere about serrated peelers. I just tend to chip it away in small pieces with a knife, without accidents so far, but the potential is pretty high.

I have a serrated Kuhn Rikon vegetable that I love--it is surprisingly rugged and is much easier to use on tough squashes than flat-blade peelers. And I use the roasting and scooping method But, I'm willing to give the microwave a try too--thx for the tip.